Monday, October 10, 2011

10 October 2011 - Nueva Aurora, Viña del Mar Oeste

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

First off, Happy Birthday Kelby!! I remembered right as I walked out of the cyber last Monday that I forgot to mention that last week. I hope it went well and you did something fun with someone fun.

I just completed my first change in the mission! Every 6 weeks the companionships in all the areas get shuffled up, but luckily my companion, Elder Pilcher, and I get to spend another change together in Nueva Aurora! We are really excited and we have such a great vision for our area and the people in it, and it is great to see things work out when you put your priorities in the right places.

Victor was baptized this weekend and it went really well! He is such a stud, yesterday at church he was introducing himself to some new investigators (we had 6 investigators come to church yesterday that had not come before!!!!) and welcoming them as if he had been in the ward for years, it was really awesome to see. He´s been asking when the next ward temple trip is and when he gets to start paying tithing, it´s so wonderful to see the brightness of the gospel that he has realized in his life.

So the talk by Elaine S Dalton last week at Conference left me wanting a daughter, haha. Then, last week, we taught a family for their second time and the little 5 year old daughter had made a little constuction paper card and written "Yo amo los misioneros" (I love the missionaries) on it! It was the cutest thing ever!

One of our investigators is this 14 year old kid, Nicolas. He is incredibly intelligent and understands any piece of doctrine we throw at him. He has learned about a bunch of churches before, because he has an interest in religion, but none of them made any sense to him because, for instance, he told us that the Catholics do not do baptism like Christ did it, by immersion as a person that had the ability to choose for himself to be baptized, not as a baby. It´s so fun to teach him because he has such good questions about why things are important to God and how certain doctrines relate to him personally, that all of our lessons are really just conversations that lead him to learn for himself. What´s really awesome is he brought up doctrines from the Restoration lesson when we taught the Plan of Salvation and tied them in to each other without any help from us, and he totally understands the point of following the commandments in order to find the happiness that God has designed and wants us to have in our lives.

Another fun part about Nicolas is his grandfather... He thinks we´re just Americans who are plotting to take all his money and change the Chilean culture and whatnot, and whenever we come to the door or call his phone, he is always the one to answer and then sends us away without letting us speak to Nicolas. However, we know there is always a way around the road blocks in life, and we have been having members from the ward who come teach Nicolas with us knock the door or call the phone and talk to the Grandpa while we stand around the corner, and then we teach Nicolas outside. His mother is totally fine with it and wants Nicolas to get baptized, but she is really shy and claims to be busy all the time, but we are trying to bring her in more too by involving the Relief Society more. It´s all a big puzzle, and I love being a part of it, because Nicolas is going to grow up to be an incredible leader in the church after serving a mission and raising a family under the principles of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

Thanks, mom, for the Borax idea for the fleas, we´re going to try to find antiflea powder stuff today, actually, so I´ll let you know if it helps at all. Haha, remember that time I had as many mosquitos bites on my legs as I had hairs? Yeah, it kind of seems like that again, but from fleas this time. It´s ok, it´s all part of the experience! Ok, I don´t have much time today, but I love you all so much!!

Love, Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment