Monday, November 28, 2011

28 November 2011 - Nueva Aurora, Viña del Mar Oeste

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

Something everyone always says is that your second companion is always the hardest, or at least that the change of companions is always the hardest to handle. I think that statement could very well be true, but it does not mean that the change is hard, only that it is the hardEST of the changes.

In other words, Elder Diaz is awesome!! We started off really well as a companionship and we established a relationship where we can be really open with each other and just say what annoys us, what makes us happy, what our goals are, what our intentions are with every investigator, etc. Companionship unity is my number one priority, because as we work as a solid team, we are able to coordinate the progress of each investigator and trust each other in a lesson and everywhere we go. Basically, we both need to say what we think, and then do what we say, and then we can truly unify our vision and form goals mutually and successfully. Elder Diaz is from Valledupar, Colombia, and likes to dance and do martial arts, but at the same time, it´s sweet. He is pretty funny, and we always find a good opportunity to smile and laugh. He has been out on the mission for 18 months and is really good at teaching people, not lessons, which is really important so that each investigator progresses individually towards baptism, and it is not just us filling out a checklist of teachings. It has been really weird being in the same area with a different companion, because everywhere I go I have flashbacks of things Elder Pilcher and I did. My trainer was spectacular and I miss him a lot, but I am really happy with Elder Diaz and am excited to make this next 6 weeks ours.

On Thanksgiving, I went to the gringo man´s house and ate Turkey, cranberries, yams, American style baked beans, and chips and dip. It was so awesome, but also really weird, because no one knows what Thanksgiving is here, nor should they, so it felt like Thanksgiving, but really it didn´t. It also didn´t help that my companion didn´t know what Thanksgiving was, and so it wasn´t really all that special to him, but it was a cool lunch anyways.

During a service project on Saturday, we were digging up the earth so that they could lay down a foundation for a house that some less active members are building. I shoveled up a load of dirt and tossed it on the pile, and then saw something in the dirt I just shoveled up. I pulled it out of the pile of dirt to find that someone had buried a little baggie of cocaine where I was digging!! Haha, we had no idea what to do with this little ziploc bag of what was definitely an illegal drug, so we just reburied it, but a little bit deeper.

A few days ago, we were talking with everyone in the street, and I saw this 18-year-old kid walk by, and he kind of looked at me like he wanted to say something, but I was already talking to someone else, so he kept walking. Then a couple hours later, I saw him off in the distance by some apartment buildings, so I waved at him, haha, and he waved back, but then jumped onto a bus and left. Then later that same night, we were in a member´s home picking up the mom and dad to accompany us to a lesson with Rodolfo and Johanna, the policeman and his wife, when that same kid knocked on the door!! He was there to hang out with the son of the family we were with, who is a less active member. The kid, Vicente, was like, "hey, this is the third time I´ve seen you today, what´s going on?" It was so cool, and apparently he shared with the missionaries a few years ago but wasn´t really interested then, but now wnats to know more and wanted a Book of Mormon and also wanted to know why baptism was so important. Basically, those are a few things every missionary ever wants to hear, so we set up a family home evening for this week with the family we were with, and left him with a Book of Mormon to read before then. He seems like a really cool kid, and we´ll see how it goes.

I love you all so much!!

Love, Elder Kimball

1 comment: