¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos!
So that you may look me up on Google Maps, Huanhuali ward has its chapel on the corner of Huanhuali with los Eucaliptus. Next week, we're going to move into a new pension that's closer to the church, on los Alamos. The north boundary is the street Porvenir, and we go down the street Huanhuali til about the street Canal. The street El Rocio is already the neighboring ward on the west, and San Enrique is the limit on the east. It's definitely the smallest area I've been in so far, but it's also the ward with the highest attendance, too. It's kind of weird for me to be back in a ward, and I have a new respect for the Melissa Branch, like what you were saying about their branch conference from last weekend. Dad, I haven't heard of anything like "La Granja," but I've heard that Villa Alemana was not always as it is now. A member in Olmué used to tell me funny stories of his childhood in Olmué when everything used to be farmland. Yes, mom, I'm still a zone leader, and we're putting this house in order.
I, like Kelby, also let out a small sarcastic chuckle when I read "Liberty Square." It matters more to me who I'm with than where I am, but to get the best of both, I propose a change of setting for the 6 of us, if possible. I suppose I'd even live in Glenwood, even though it's on the wrong side of campus, as long as I had a bike. If anything, at least Glenwood is close to the football stadium and the Marriott Center, haha.
This last week, one of our big focuses was meeting with Belinda, who is a lady who has had many encounters with the church, but has very evangelical traditions. They had found her a couple weeks before I came, and had gone to the church once, so we went and probed where she was in her testimony, and placed a baptismal date with her to get her to start progressing towards it. She doesn't know how to read, and is in her 50's, and is single but has several small grandchildren who are often at her house with her. Something that can be a lot more delicate and tricky than it seems is helping someone to develop a testimony, and then desire to develop a conversion. I honestly don't know how to develop either without the Book of Mormon, so the first thing we did was find a Book of Mormon on tape buried in the chapel's closets, and got her to start listening to that, and she is slowly turning around and understanding things more clearly now. I think I could say her eyes are opening. It makes me so happy, because I know exactly how much joy the gospel will lead her to, and how much she needs it. She lives in a block where all her neighbors are drug dealers and thieves, and we literally watch people stand in line to get their drugs from her neighbors. Everyone makes fun of her, and they take pictures of her when she leaves the house to taunt her and other absurd things. One time they stole her rooster and later told her that the chicken stew was delicious. She feels so incredibly alone, but is so incredibly wrong. I can't wait for her to fully realize how much God looks out for her and is trying to reach out to her to lead her to eternal peace and glory. I love you all!
Love, Elder Kimball
No comments:
Post a Comment