Monday, January 7, 2013

07 January 2013 - La Cantera, Coquimbo

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

Before you read more, go find the November 2012 Ensign, the one with the talks of the General Conference from October. Please turn to page 27. Ready? Ok, so I'm studying in the morning, happily reading this delightful talk by L Tom Perry, and then all of a sudden, I look at the picture on the top of page 27, the Chinese-looking family, and then look down at my tie, and back at the tie of the kid on the right. Just 15 minutes earlier, I had tied around my neck the exact same tie as the kid in the picture, the purple one with silver Angel Moroni's that you sent me for Christmas. What's crazier? You sent me two ties for Christmas, the purple one, and the red one with red and black specks on it that I wore for the Christmas Skype call. So, the initial shock having passed, I continued looking at the same picture, and saw the tie of the kid on the left, and my mind exploded. Are you seeing it? The exact 2 ties that you sent me for Christmas are being worn by those kids in the picture. The mission is so cool.

Please remind Derek Marlor to send me a wedding invitation or at least some engagement pictures. What a stud.

New Year's was enjoyable, because we got permission to stay out til past midnight to see the fireworks, so we had a good ol' Chilean barbeque with the Diaz and Herrera families. Elder Herrera is the area 70 that lives in our branch, and he's always delightful to be with. At midnight, they all went down to the beach to watch the fireworks that get shot off all the way from Coquimbo, around the bay to La Serena, but we weren't allowed to approach the beach, so we stayed behind in the neighborhood and watched them from a distance. Then, we celebrated by going straight home and to bed.

Thankfully, our neighbor decided to go somewhere else to hold his new year party, so we didn't have to stay up the rest of the night listening to his incredibly powerful speakers. Bonus - neither did we have to tempt Teancum to go on his second assassination attempt, because we all know how that might have turned out for him.

Also, as dad says, "behave yourself well because you never know who you're going to run into!" I'll attach a picture of someone I ran into last week! Let's see if Dad recognizes him before I tell you the story!

Last week, we ran out of Books of Mormon in our zone, and when we arrived to Viña on Friday, the new shipment of books still hadn't arrived, which means we have to do missionary work without Books of Mormon until they can mail a couple of boxes up specially to Coquimbo, but until then, it feels so weird to walk in the streets without a book in my hand, like a cowboy without his gun. I love you all!

Love, Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment