Monday, July 25, 2011

25 July 2011 - Missionary Training Center

Dear Family + Friends,

So last Monday after I wrote my letter and ate breakfast, my companion and I successfully boarded a shuttle and escaped the MTC compound. We made it as far as University Avenue where we disembarked at a medical clinic. While I waited in the waiting room as he got his shoulder checked, there were these 2 boys, about 7 and 9 or so, and their mom there and they treated me like a superhero! It was so awesome! They were all shy and pointing me out to their mom and saying "that's a missionary!!" It was so great, and so I said hi and talked to them for a bit and they were just as I excited as I was about missionaries back then, it was so cool. Right after the doctor told my companion there's something wrong with his nerve connected to his muscle or something, he gave him a prescription for steroids and we got sent back to the MTC. My companion was then on steroids all last week, but we think he's doing better now.

I played in 3 soccer games last week and finally scored! I tallied 2 goals and 2 assists in those 3 games. My first goal was pretty sweet, the ball was cleared out of the backfield and it bounced once about 20 yards out, and then I ran onto it and volleyed it past the keeper before it hit the ground again. It was sweet and worth the wait for a first goal. I also played volleyball a couple times because it was Daniel Burnett's last week!

Last night, after the Sunday night devotional, Elder Burnett and I met up by the organ with Elder Rob Hoeft and Elder Adam Richards and we took pictures and spent a few minutes reminiscing and saying goodbye to Elder Burnett, who is leaving the MTC for Germany in about 14 minutes from now. What a stud, he's going to do so great, and I am so excited for him!

So let me tell you about the food situation here. Basically, they treat me like royalty. It's incredible. Since day 2, they prepare all my meals separately from everyone else, put it on a golden platter, and place it in an oven in the kitchen, where it stays warm and fresh until I go get it. That means that while the other 2599 missionaries here are waiting in line for their food, I walk into the kitchen and grab my specially prepared food that is absolutely exquisite. They give me all these different kinds of gluten free breads and rolls and cookies and they make me a 6-inch round gluten free pizza every Friday night for dinner. I also have another magic refrigerator here with gluten free cupcakes and gluten free coconut macaroons and all the good stuff. I have gluten free cereals here, like the gorilla munch stuff and these honey nut cheerio kind of things. Nevertheless, I received in a package from my dear, sweet brother and sister, Brandon and Marta, one of the most fantastic things I never knew I missed. Gluten free pretzels!! I had no idea that I missed pretzels so bad until I had a bag of them at my disposal! They were especially good with my stock of peanut butter M&M's! So thank you, you officially made a few of my days last week!

I feel like I'm running out of things to say...it's basically the same thing every week here. I spend all my time studying the restored gospel and some of it studying Spanish. The language is coming along just great! I actually have learned all the basic grammar, including passive voice and subjunctive, and now I can spend the next 4 weeks practicing it while I wait to enter the mission field. I can effectively communicate, and I have gotten pretty creative at working around words that I don't know in order to still get my point across. I can teach lessons in Spanish easily, because I don't focus on the Spanish or what I'm trying to say. The key is to focus on the investigator, place my concerns with what they need, forget my insecurities, and allow the Spirit to convey exactly what it is the investigator needs to hear. It is incredible to see what happens when you truly put your trust in the Lord.

Dad, thank you so much for the updates on the Women's World Cup! They were inspiring. And it's ok, you don't need to send me news on their last game, I heard from my teacher that it might not have ended the way I would have liked it to. I love you all!

Love, Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment