Monday, May 28, 2012

28 May 2012 - Olmué, Villa Alemana

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

Tiffanie, Hermano Jarman is your teacher?? I love him! He taught us 3 or 4 times when he subbed for my teacher, Hermana Savage. His Spanish accent is pretty funny, but his stories from his mission can be even funnier, like when he was in Baltimore for the first part of his mission. Ask him if he is still waiting for a certain sister missionary to finish her mission, and then you have to ask him how he met her. Hilarious.

I read the updates on all of the J-Hall district missionaries that left from BYU with me, and thought it was really cool that the little brothers of the 2 Elder Skousen's are going to start up another J-Hall district this upcoming school year at BYU, just like we did! That's really neat, because those district meetings that we held every night at 10 were one of my favorite parts of my freshman year, and we prepped ourselves up for the mission all together.

Last week while I was on an interchange with Elder Hughes from Virginia, we got up early and went running in the morning! It was a really big deal for me because I have wanted to go running so bad for a long time now. All my companions have had different impediments for a while now that keep us from running. Elder Abatti has pretty severe asthma, and will start to die after about 7 seconds of jogging, Elder Rojas had a bad knee, and Elder Diaz just didn't want to run. Anyways, it felt so wonderful to get out in the crisp morning air and run through the neighborhoods, and it was a big highlight to my week. I want to run in that 5K in Salina when I get back, so maybe Mom and I can do that together and keep you in good shape!

It began to rain last Friday in the afternoon and did not stop until after lunch on Sunday. It was literally nonstop rain, and was very much needed, because this area has been in a severe drought for years. I had carried around my umbrella with me on a few other days in the past couple of weeks when it looked like it might rain, just in case it started, and of course everyone made fun of me for being prepared, haha. It was just plain cheeky that the day it actually did start to rain, I had left the umbrella in the pension!! After about 10 mnutes in the rain and seeing that it wasn't just a quick drizzle, we made our way back to the pension and grabbed the umbrellas, and certainly did not regret doing so.

The bad news of the rain is that it canceled our talent show ward activity that we had so diligently prepared for weeks. The entire ward was way stoked for it and all the organizations had prepared something to do together as a talent, and a lot of the members were going to share their talents. The worst part was having to call 13 investigators to tell them not to go and hear from them that they were going to go despite the rain if we hadn't canceled, because they were going to share their talents too. The members had invited a ton of friends, even more than for the ward activity last month, so we were pretty bummed to hear that we had to cancel. We rescheduled it, due to many complications and whatnot, for the end of June, so we'll see if we can revamp the excitement.

Saturday night, Elder Abatti and I were standing in the pouring rain in the pitch dark, and just felt no desire whatsoever to stop searching for those who are waiting to hear this message. We wanted to endure to the very end, so we searched for whatever house we could with lights on inside. As people closed the door on us, I thought to myself, "Do they wonder why two 19 year old boys are far away from their homes, standing at their door in the dark and pouring rain, when we could be doing all sorts of other things with our lives right now?" So I asked the next person that. She said no, she doesn't wonder that. I told her, "We love you so much, and we just want to share a message that will invite love, unity, and lasting happiness in your family. The rain doesn't matter to us, the dark doesn't matter, but your family does matter." No one let us in from the rain that night, but Elder Abatti and I felt absolutely sure of the sacred spirit of our calling to restore love and direction to the homes of all those we meet. That only comes from the power of the priesthood that has been distilled from heaven to all those who hear the Lord's voice and choose to follow Him. I love you all!

Love, Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment