Monday, June 3, 2013

03 June 2013 - Gómez Carreño

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

This last week was so incredible, I don't know if I've ever felt so sure that I'm exactly where I need to be. It's impossible to deny that the Lord has prepared everything so that I be here where my father served in this moment of time.

Lorena and Jaime are going crazy trying to get in touch with you people, all they want to do is skype with you. It's funny because every time they see me they ask me why my dad hasn't skyped them yet. Haha, I tell them, "you have more access to international technology than I do." They were glad mom accepted the friend request, but they are itching to skype with you. Also, the Escudero family says hello. I actually met them in Mirador, another ward in Achupallas, while I was on interchanges. It's the coolest thing to sit down to lunch and hear members ask, "Do you have a family member who also served here?" and then to be able to respond, "Yes, he is my father!!"

We're preparing a hardcore ward activity for the 15th, where we'll have a talent show and a dessert competition. It sounds like that took hold really quick when we started mentioning at church yesterday, and a lot of members are starting to get pretty competitive about the dessert making, so Elder Judd and I decided we needed to win this competition at all costs. Therefore, I need ASAP mom's classic mint brownie recipe. Also, Could you send me a fudge recipe or two? We started brainstorming a bunch of other things we can do with fudge to win this competition gringo-style.

We taught a lady named Veronica with Lorena and Jaime, while her husband Mauricio, is off in the navy and she has progressed a lot slower than he has. I actually still don't know him, but they've told me that he got really interested in the church really quick and is ready to be baptized and everything, but his wife, Veronica, had a hard time seeing the point of church and really participating in this all. In his absence, she has come a long way, and we even got her to church on Sunday, even though she didn't really want to go at first since she didn't want to go without Mauricio. Last night, we talked a little more about how God answers prayers, and it was just so good because she began to realize all the different ways that the Spirit has manifested himself since we began teaching them, because they feel so much happier and have been more unified in their marriage and she just feels kinder than before. She realized then that she has been feeling the Spirit this whole time, and then we asked her, "what is he trying to tell you? Why would he be present in your life after investigating the restored gospel?" And then it just clicked, and she totally understood that God was testifying to her the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and the church and everything. She then, for the first time, accepted the invitation to do the closing prayer, and halfway through just started crying and thanking God for finally being able to get close to Him. I love you all!

Love, Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment