Monday, April 2, 2012

02 April 2012 - Olmué, Villa Alemana

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

Happy Birthday to Maizy!! I can only imagine what things I'm missing out on with my dear little niece, but I find solace in the fact that by the time I get back, she might be ready to start playing a little soccer with us, so I'm not missing the best part of her life.

Whew, my heart is full. I think general conference is one of the best things ever invented. What an incredible question posed by Elder Neil L Andersen! What does Christ think of me? That seemed to be quite a theme within the conference this time, because after hearing and pondering their messages, I feel a greater appreciation for the worth of every soul, because God has a specific plan for each and every one of us and wants to help us realize our divine potential that only he can see within us. So what does He think of me? Am I progressing towards what He has in mind for me? As I think of my wonderful family, I give thanks fully for our journey together in this plan and know that He is proud of our humble efforts to love.

I learn daily about the lifelong journey of discipleship. I would love to hear how you grew in your resolve of discipleship this weekend, just like last conference! Please let me know what your favorite talk was and why! I'd have to say that Elder Andersen's talk was quite a kicker for me, but I also really enjoyed Russell M Nelson's talk. Have the fish ever thanked you? Haha, classic. That talk is definitely one I want to read again, because it was so carefully written to provide understanding of the plan of salvation in order to urge gratitude and love with the gifts that God gives us daily.

My new companion is Elder Abatti from Rosario, Argentina!! He is absolutely the most wonderful companion I could ask for, and I am so honored and humbled to feel of his spirit every day. He is fresh out of the Chilean MTC and comes with enormous expectations for his mission, which I am so glad to promise him are expectations even smaller than God has in mind for him. I would say Matthew 5:5 describes him well. He has a speech impediment, but is so courageous and wants to share the love of the gospel with everyone so that they may taste of the fruit of the tree like he has tasted it. I shared with him the story of Enoch, who was weak in speech at first, but then made armies tremble at the very words he spake after having been given power from God. He is so fired up with missionary spirit and we're exploding with his pure love for every single person he sees. I wish I could film these first days of missionary work with him in my memory, because they're tremendously inspiring and absolutely hilarious at the same time. I can't really describe what it's like to go around with him, but I feel like anyone who has been on a mission will understand what I'm saying.

I'm going to go ahead and use my credit card to buy him some garments over the internet, because he only has 6 pairs, and that's not going to fly. I haven't gotten the box of contacts yet.

We have been working so hard for weeks to prepare people to come to the general conference this weekend, because it can play such a crucial part in the progression of investigators and recent converts, but as general conference approached, it was starting to look like absolutely no one was going to go. I felt awful! All I could think of was how sad God must feel when, after preparing specific messages of love that are meant for every one of His children, they don't even want to hear what He has to say! We put forth all of our effort last week urging the importance of this conference and expressing those feelings that our loving Heavenly Father has for each of our investigators, but still it looked as if no one would come. It was with great humility and faith that Elder Abatti and I prayed that one investigator find the courage to overcome the obstacles and come to the conference. We did not know who would come, but I have never felt more certain that God would answer our prayer. No one showed up on Saturday, and Sunday morning the first session started without any investigators having shown up as I entered the English room with a couple other American missionaries from my zone. When the session ended, I joined up with my companion in the chapel to see that God had answered our prayers and the investigator who we least expected to come had showed up. Daniel, who did not have any money and who was going to work this weekend, had miraculously found 7000 pesos (about $14) in his wallet that was not there before. He was so surprised to find it, that he knew it wasn't a coincidence, and that he must go to the general conference instead of try to work. As he listened to the Prophet speak, tears rolled down his cheeks, and he left the conference with a different look on his face than I had seen before. I love you all!

Love, Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment