Monday, April 16, 2012

16 April 2012 - Olmué, Villa Alemana

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

Daniel Burnett!! You are such a stud! I totally noticed the MoTab tie change-up, too, and the other missionaries made fun of me for pointing it out! In fact, they still make fun of me for having noticed that! You're my hero.

Brother Weitzel told me all about his 8 week guitar lesson plan when I was a senior. He told me learning to play the guitar is simply mathematics, and we were going to set up a time when he would give me those lessons, but it never happened. It was just one of those things that I didn't ever find time for. That's so cool that Kenzie and Kylie are getting that chance to learn from him! Sounds like they aren't going to need to play Rock Band anymore, now that they can do it for real!

I didn't even realize that I was missing out on Easter jelly beans until the package arrived last week with 2 bags of my dear, beloved Starburst Jelly Beans. Family, well done. I love you a lot. The contacts feel good, and they seem to work, because I can see things. It made me think of an old Brian Reagan adage, the stunt about how sometimes we put off fixing our eyesight, which you would think ought to be more important to people. It'll be interesting to see Brian Reagan again after 2 years...

Anyways, I had a fun experience on Saturday. That morning I had read about Korihor, the Anti-Christ in Alma 30, and how Alma totally breaks him down, and it got me in one of those "cry repentance" moods. Then later that day, the perfect opportunity showed up as we knocked a door to find that the person that had given us that address didn't actually live there, and the person who answered the door opened it and immediately said, "Ahhh, Mormons. I know for a fact that you're liars because you use the Book of Mormon and there should only be the Bible." Go time. Someone apostolic, I think it may have been Neil A Maxwell or Bruce R McConkie, once said something on the lines of "don't waste time fighting with people, but if you find yourself in that situation, don't lose." Luckily, after 15 minutes of a great teaching opportunity, the man was actually humble enough to admit the obvious signs of apostacy with so many different ways to interpret the same passage of scripture, and recognized the need for the gospel in its pure and full form, and consented that he had not even read the Book of Mormon. He then committed himself to reading it for 10 minutes daily, and we will be passing by to check on his progress and answer questions. It was a fun experience because it started out as kind of a battle, but ended up as a wonderful teaching moment, and we gave each other a big hug before we left.

So far, all of my latino companions have been converts to the church. Elder Diaz joined the church with his mother and 2 of his 9 siblings when he was 13, but then went inactive a year later until he was 19 years old, when he decided to return to the church by himself and prepared to serve a mission a year after that. Elder Rojas joined the church with his whole family when he was 12 after having investigated the church with his family for 9 months. Elder Abatti and his mother joined the church when he was 8 years old, and his dad got baptized a month after them. A week ago, his dad was called to be the new stake president in his stake, and Elder Abatti is the oldest of 4 kids. All 3 said they didn't really remember much about the conversion experience, they just kind of did what their parents were doing at the time. However, each of them later on came to grow their own testimonies as they began to ask why they had joined the church and prayed to know if the Book of Mormon is a true book.

I love you all!

Love, Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment