Monday, April 23, 2012

23 April 2012 - Olmué, Villa Alemana

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

WHAT?? You played Risk?? You all know very well, too well, how hard I try to get us to all play Risk when we're together. I should have known you would bust the game out when I'm not at home, almost as if to tantalize me. Mom, I'm glad to hear you have repented of your "world peace" ways, we all know world domination is a much happier state.

I'm happy to hear the entire family is having such a great time this weekend! That's really neat how they had Tiffanie and Mom speak in sacrament meeting for her farewell, just like Dad and I did! It must have been a pretty packed house. Did the Browns stay at our house, too? Where did everyone sleep? Yesterday, we ate lunch with the Arancibia family from our ward, and their married kids from nearby came and joined us for lunch and stayed at their parent's house for the evening. There are 5 kids in total, and the two oldest are married and have kids, and eating lunch with all of them was such a cool feeling, just to be able to see the power of families and the literal stronghold a home can be when built upon the principles of the gospel, faith in Christ and repentance. I'm so grateful for the strength of our home in any circumstance we may find ourselves in.

Luke Burgie is a genius. Why didn't we think of that before? That silly Betty Field Writing Contest drove us nuts. I never figured out how to beat the system, but it was ever so simple all along. "How I Tried to Get Out of Writing This." Classic.

Is Kenzie going to be able to play in a Tennis tournament at the end of the season? I can't remember if JV has a district tournament or anything like that. Keep up the good work, Kylie, I'll teach you how to spike the volleyball when I get back!

My companion, Elder Abatti, although a little disabled by his speech impediment, has this magical ability to rap. He loves rap and hip hop, and can freestyle improvise rap on a dime. It's funny, because it's as if his speech impediment just disappears when he begins to rap. I'm still not quite sure how that works, but it's pretty cool. He actually won second place in a big rap contest at his home one time and received a money prize and everything. He went on a tour through Brazil and up to Mexico doing freestyle rap. Anyways, last week I found the file of an old investigator in our area book that indicated that he liked hip hop and rap a lot. It was this 24 year old kid named Juan. We went and found his house and then knocked his door. When he opened, he was just about to say, "I don't have time" or "I'm not interested" or something like that, but I started to beatbox and Elder Abatti began freestyling. He basically rapped "Hey we're the missionaries and we know you met us before, but now we're back and we want to teach you more and yadadada." Juan's face changed completely, and when we finished, he invited us in! He showed us his studio that he uses to record his beats and whatnot, and we talked about relying on Christ to overcome our obstacles and be born again. He said he was willing to give it another shot and wants to try to put his life in order again like he had tried to do before.

We had a mission conference last week, and Elder Pilcher, my trainer, was there too, because he is a zone leader in nearby Quillota. It was fun to compare stories of what I must have been like when I first entered the mission field, and now that I have a companion who has so many funny blips as he gets used to the mission.

We had a great find last week. While we were exploring new territory to get some new investigators in the teaching pool, we came across this church of Darwinism place!! It was so wack, and there was this mural of the stages of evolution from monkey to man, hahaha! It was one of those moments where you're glad to have brought your camera that day. I love you all!

Love, Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment