Monday, June 25, 2012

25 June 2012 - Sindempart, Coquimbo

¡Hola mi familia y mis amigos!

Dad, that forest fire in the Springs is so crazy, because there was a great big fire in Placeres where I was at last week, too! I took a picture with it, but it looks like I'll have to wait til next week to send it, because these computers aren't going to let me pass my pictures over. It was pretty dangerous because the fire was halfway down a ravine, so the firefighters had no real way of getting down there from up above where the streets are. Those of you who know how Valparaíso is know that there are these great, long staircases that go down the sides of the hills to get down to all the clusters of houses in the ravines, and so the fire got pretty big before they were able to find a way to put it out.

My new companion in Placeres was Elder Honor, originally from Bolivia, but who had lived in Argentina for the last 5 years. He was just entering his third transfer, so I was replacing his trainer, and we clicked really well together from the get-go. He was introduced to the church by his girlfriend 2 years ago, prayed and received the answer that this is the true church, and is happy as a clam to be here on the mission. He was one of 20 missionaries that are out on missions from his ward in Argentina! I was hoping to run into old friends from Nueva Aurora, Placeres being just beneath my first area, and it turned out that basically all of the member families I met had relatives in Nueva Aurora ward, but I didn't run into anyone I knew in the streets or anything.

I was on this kind of energy high, and Elder Honor and I literally talked with everyone we ran into. It is so easy to find the people the Lord has prepared to receive the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ when you just decide to open your mouth and talk with them! We had to take a micro (one of the Chilean maniac buses) that was absolutely stuffed to the brim with people, tighter than a can of sardines. It was awesome, because we just started talking with everyone one by one as we were practically hugging them in the close space. We were able to find quite a few people who were actually interested in hearing our message. Placeres was ripe for the harvest, and those who thrust in their sickle will reap!

You may be wondering why I'm writing in past tense.

Well, after getting to Placeres on Tuesday morning, President Gillespie called me on Wednesday night and told me to pack my bags so I could leave Thursday afternoon on an emergency change. We finished the night like normal, and then I packed my bags, which was easy because I hadn't really unpacked much yet, and then Thursday morning we went to zone class with the Valparaíso zone. Elder Chamberlain, fresh out of the MTC, was in my district and showed me pictures of Tiffanie with her companions and the group of missionaries that he came with to our mission in Viña. I don't know where or with who any of the other new missionaries are, but I'll probably run into some more in a couple of weeks when we have our conferences with the new mission president. After zone class, we went to lunch, and then went back to the pension where the assistants came to drop off Elder Honor's new companion, and then take me away and to the bus terminal, where I jumped on a double-decker bus headed to the north. I had to travel all alone, which definitely felt very very strange to me. It was sweet, because my assigned seat was at the very front on the top floor, so I watched out the front window from up high all the 7 hour bus ride to COQUIMBOOOOOOO!

I arrived in Coquimbo at 1:30 AM on Friday morning, where my new companion was waiting for me in the bus terminal with the other two missionaries who share our pension. We then went directly to the promised land, the legendary, the one and only branch of Sindempart, Coquimbo!! For those not familiar, Sindempart is literally the promised land of the mission Viña del Mar. It's the one every missionary talks about, and I have already learned that its reputation is not exaggerated. We drink milk and honey here, see miracles occur daily, and never ever want to leave.

My new companion is Elder Córdoba, from Nicaragua, who is just starting his second transfer. I am replacing his trainer, who had to be moved down to Viña to be closer to the hospital for medical reasons. Elder Córdoba is absolutely inspiring, and I am absolutely amazed to be his companion. I wish you all could just meet him, because as soon as you're in his presence, you just know that he is a spectacular missionary and his thoughts, words, and actions prove it. The other two elders in the pension with us are Elder Romero from Argentina and Elder Umbach, from Canada! Eder Umbach and I were in the MTC district together, and it is a very happy reunion to be together again. It's going to be a great transfer, and we're all set for the guidance and direction of the Lord as we marvel day by day in His glorious vineyard. I can't waste a day, nor an hour, nor a moment. I love you all so much!

Love, Elder Kimball

No comments:

Post a Comment